Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Second Childhood


When I entered the cinema recently, I could hear the nursery rhymes that I was familiar with. The rhymes were formed by the children’s laughing, crying and spoilt behaviour.


I asked, why are you singing all the time everywhere: at home, in the shopping complexes, in the restaurants… even in the cinemas?


They said, we can’t stop and it’s a long way, we’ve got to go on and on.


They did not really answer my question.


I listened to their rhymes with full attention. I felt their glorious time and happiness, but they have never known the restriction of adults.


I heard their simplicity.


I heard their purity.


I could foresee their rhymes becoming complicated gradually.


If the world is a playground and the people are children, simplicity and purity will remain, wars will not happen.


I always remember the song that was sung by Daniel, our Malaysian Idol:


…Return to the previous time

Again, I enjoy the superficial mind

Hope to possess the childhood again

Again, we make a circle

Narrow the world becomes a playground

Happiness still can be felt without wisdom…


I felt I had possessed a second childhood when I was watching an animated film in the school holidays, with the children crowded in the cinema.


My laughter blended with them. I could hardly recognise my voice at that moment. I felt pity for those parents who could not sense the fun and the humour of the animation.


A lady who carried a little girl, who sat on my left hand side, stayed silent throughout the show.


Photograph by Dominic Khoo

No comments: